Make your own free website on
Wokingham Wanderers F.C.
Wanderers 2 Microblast 8
Team Information
Player Profiles
Fixtures / Results
League Table
Match Reports
Team History

15th September 2002 - County Cup Preliminary Round - Langborough Rec.

Following their fantastic debut victory against Sunninghill Jauguars, Wanderers were stunned by this heavy defeat inflicted by Windsor-based side Microblast.

Wanderers made one change as Dan Van der Laan-ODonnell declared himself unfit to start.  Jamie Ryall dropped back into defence and 17 year old Tom Soane made his debut in the middle of midfield.  Anthony Prior moved to the left wing and Alan Pearce advanced to become the lone striker.

The Blues continued where they had left off as they took another early lead when Andy Kinch found Scott Ford with a 30 yard through ball.  Ford remained composed as two defenders caught him, and slid the ball through the legs of the onrushing keeper. 

What happened next surprised everyone.  Passes went astray, challenges were lost and at times non-existent, heads dropped and goals were conceded.  In a breath-taking twenty-five minute spell Microblast smashed four past the helpless Craig Colman.  It seemed things couldnt get any worse but they did, a dubious penalty decision saw Microblast gain an opportunity to extend their lead.  Fortunately a Chris Waddle-inspired penalty gave Wanderers genuine hope of scoring the goals required to win the tie, but they still trailed by three goals at the break.  There was one enforced change before the interval as Mark Devenny pulled his hamstring and so Andrew Trinder entered the play for his Wanderers debut.

There was brief hope as Wanderers battled well in the opening minutes of the second half.  Pearce moved back to the left wing to enable Prior to resume his familiar striking role.  However when chasing a long-ball minutes later, Prior too suffered a hamstring injury.  Following some treatment he was unable to continue and so Oliver Bambrough came on to take over on the left side, with Pearce again moving up-front.

Wanderers heads dropped once more and Microblast were able to repeat their four goal haul from the first half. 


Scott Ford managed a consolation goal from the penalty spot after Pearce was hauled down in the area.


Towards the end Clint Falcus limped off and Van der Laan-ODonnell replaced him in the heart of a despondent Wanderers defence.


Tom Soane and Andy Kinch battled well throughout the game and both came close to scoring but it was a shell-shocked and shameful Blues side who made their way off of the Langborough pitch. 


TEAM: Craig Colman, Andy Kinch, Clint Falcus, Jamie Ryall, Phil Soane, Mark Devenny, Stuart Palmer, Scott Ford, Tom Soane, Anthony Prior, Alan Pearce.
SUBS: Andrew Trinder (for Devenny), Oliver Bambrough (for Prior), Dan Van der Laan-ODonnell (for Falcus), Lewis Trusty (not used).