Make your own free website on
Wokingham Wanderers F.C.
Wanderers 2 Carters UFC 1
Team Information
Player Profiles
Fixtures / Results
League Table
Match Reports
Team History

28th March 2004 - Friendly Match - Langborough Rec, Wokingham

With a week off from their league campaign, Wanderers were hoping to prepare for the Challenge Cup with a friendly against fourth division Carters UFC.


Unfortunately with Owen Holland, Matthew Elliott and Alan Pearce already absent, Dan van der Laan O'Donnell and Kieron Sherwood let the side down with late withdrawals.  This gave Wanderers a bare eleven which included guest players Ian Murray and Ian Griffiths.


Wanderers struggled to find their way in the opening half of the first half, as they coped with Carters' long-ball style without creating much in the way of chances.


With twenty five minutes gone, Wanderers almost took the lead as Anthony Prior volleyed Lewis Trusty's knockdown onto the cross bar.  Tom Soane was linking up well with Ian Griffiths and he too had opportunities but failed to hit the target.


Then another Prior volley seemed goal-bound when it was punched away by a Carters' defender.  Everyone at Langborough bar the referee saw the incident, and he bizarrely waved play on. 


Ten minutes before the interval Wanderers did make the breakthrough, through Soane.


Wanderers had a throw-in in their own half and Scott Ford found Prior, who held the ball up before flicking it through to Griffiths.  He delivered an accurate cross to the near-post which Soane swept into the corner of the net.


Within ten minutes of the start of the second-half Wanderers extended their advantage with a similar goal to their first.  Prior found Griffiths again and another precise cross was volleyed low into the net by Soane.


In the closing stages of the match Wanderers failed to trouble Carters, Lewis Trusty's long-range effort was the closest that they came.  Soane's leg injury meant that he was reduced to a walking role, and with this Wokingham struggled to retain possession.


The Wanderers' defence had looked solid with Murray joining Falcus, Orbell and Hillsdon to put in a committed performance.  Allan Mellor had shown good hands when called upon.


With just two minutes left Carters grabbed a goal back after Orbell's header back to Mellor was intercepted.  Wanderers held on to win and can take the positive result into next week's Challenge Cup match against Finchampstead A.


SQUAD: Alan Mellor, Chris Hillsdon, Clint Falcus, Ian Murray, Chris Orbell, Ian Griffiths, Scott Ford, Lewis Trusty, Jamie Ryall, Tom Soane, Anthony Prior.