Make your own free website on
Wokingham Wanderers F.C.
Tin Hut Ascot 2 Wanderers 1
Team Information
Player Profiles
Fixtures / Results
League Table
Match Reports
Team History

7th March 2004 - Division 3 - King's Lane, Englefield Green

Wanderers travelled to Englefield Green to face Tin Hut Ascot, who were fortunate to defeat the Blues 3-2 two weeks ago.


Dan van der Laan O'Donnell was absent and so Matthew Elliott dropped into defence and Alan Pearce started on the right of midfield.


From the first whistle Wanderers showed the level of commitment which has been in evidence in the last four weeks.  Within fifteen minutes they were in front.  Anthony Prior closed down a clearance and the ball fell into the path of Tom Soane who finished with a low left-footed shot from six yards out.


Soane then hit the post after breaking past a shocked Tin Hut defence, and captain Scott Ford hit the bar with a header from a superb Jamie Ryall corner.  The Blues were on top and were putting in a performance which defied their league position.


Tin Hut equalised before half-time and against the run of play.  There seemed no genuine danger with the ball some 30 yards out on Wanderers' left.  However a cross seemed to catch in the wind and floated beyond Mellor into the far corner of the net.


Tom Soane had another opportunity before the break, but was again denied by a post.


In the second-half the weather deteriorated and Wanderers found it harder to play football.  They maintained their level of hard work and Tin Hut were reduced to long range efforts as they sought the win which was so crucial to their title challenge.


Wanderers were unable to create much in the way of chances in the second period.  The closest they came followed Lewis Trusty's header from another Ryall corner, which Soane was unable to divert towards goal.


Tin Hut grabbed all three points following a disputed free-kick.  Elliott was bundled over as he tried to clear but the referee ignored this, only to blow seconds later for a foul by Falcus.  From the free-kick the ball was knocked into the path of Tin Hut's impressive left-winger, and the ball rocketed past Mellor into the corner of the net.


In a final push for an equaliser Elliott was moved into attack, but Wanderers were unable to produce any other chances.


With only two league games left, Wanderers can concentrate on the Challenge Cup - a competition which they could potentially win, given the quality of their performances in recent weeks.


TEAM: Alan Mellor, Chris Hillsdon, Clint Falcus, Matthew Elliott, Chris Orbell, Alan Pearce, Scott Ford, Lewis Trusty, Jamie Ryall, Anthony Prior, Tom Soane.

SUBS: Kieron Sherwood (for Pearce) and Owen Holland (for Trusty).