Make your own free website on
Wokingham Wanderers F.C.
Wanderers 2 Tin Hut Ascot 3
Team Information
Player Profiles
Fixtures / Results
League Table
Match Reports
Team History

22nd February 2004 - Division 3 - Langborough Rec.

Boosted by their victory over Rides United, Wanderers hosted Tin Hut Ascot.  The two sides enjoyed some hotly contested matches last season and this fixture was no different.


With Matthew Elliott absent, Clint Falcus returned to the starting eleven in the centre of defence. 


From the first whistle Wanderers showed their battling qualities, giving the Tin Hut side little time on the ball.  Tom Soane and Anthony Prior hassled the visitors' defence as Wokingham put Tin Hut under sustained pressure.


Wanderers took the lead following a throw-in - Lewis Trusty flicking the ball into the path of Jamie Ryall, who cleverly volleyed in his first goal of the season from close range.


A second goal nearly followed as first Prior and then Soane hit shots just wide of the Tin Hut goal.


Wokingham lost the lead when the Tin Hut winger nipped in to steal the ball away from Dan van der Laan O'Donnell and cross for the Ascot forward to power the ball beyond Mellor.


Within minutes Wanderers were back in front with a goal of real quality.  Kieron Sherwood cut in from the right and played a superb reverse-pass to Tom Soane who finished in style as he guided the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box.   Wokingham led 2-1 at the break.


The second-half saw Wanderers playing towards a strong wind and this led to increased pressure from Tin Hut.  For much of the half the Blues were equal to it, with Mellor well supported by his hardworking defence. 


Tin Hut equalised for a second time midway through the second-half when a quickly taken throw-in saw a cross go across the Blues' back line and this was slotted home at the far post.


Wanderers made a triple substitution which saw Trusty, Ryall and Sherwood replaced by Smith, Holland and Pearce.


Tin Hut then took the lead for the fist time in the match in controversial circumstances.  Wanderers' players looked for an offside flag as a cross came in and Allan Mellor did well to tip the resulting shot onto the bar but was unfortunate to see the rebound go into the net via his ankle.


Wanderers almost equalised when a van der Laan O'Donnell free-kick was flicked towards goal by Scott Ford but cleared off of the line.


With time running out Wanderers threw players forward but the equaliser would not come.  Following a scramble in the box Smith's angled shot was hacked off the line and minutes later the same player was stopped by a last ditch tackle as he beat two players on his way into the Tin Hut penalty area.


Despite the defeat, Wanderers can take a lot of confidence from this performance and with four league matches left to play they need to maintain their level of effort.


TEAM: Allan Mellor, Chris Hillsdon, Clint Falcus, Dan van der Laan O'Donnell, Chris Orbell, Kieron Sherwood, Scott Ford, Lewis Trusty, Jamie Ryall, Anthony Prior, Tom Soane.

SUBS: Alan Pearce (for Sherwood), Graham Smith (for Trusty) and Owen Holland (for Ryall).