Make your own free website on
Wokingham Wanderers F.C.
Binfield S C 1 Wanderers 3
Team Information
Player Profiles
Fixtures / Results
League Table
Match Reports
Team History

14th September 2003 - Division 3 - Harmanswater Road, Bracknell.

Wanderers were missing Phil Soane, Jamie Ryall, Chris Orbell, Andy Kinch and Mark Devenny as they faced Binfield Social Club, looking to win their second successive match of the season. 


On a long pitch Wanderers failed to trouble Binfield in the early stages, however they did improve and headed chances fell to Tom Soane and Clint Falcus.


It was Binfield who took the lead following a controversial free kick.  Captain Scott Ford was adjudged to have body-checked a Binfield forward and a free kick was awarded, some 25 yards from goal.  The ball was floated into the corner of the net beyond Alan Mellors dive.  Wanderers pointed out that the kick should have been indirect following Fords obstruction but their protests fell on deaf ears.


The Blues were further incensed when a foul on Anthony Prior was not given and then Lewis Trusty was brought down by a cynical challenge.  Trusty was unable to continue and Owen Holland came on to replace him.


The second-half saw Wanderers raise their game and play some quality football.


An equaliser arrived quickly when Edward Townsend passed the ball toward Prior, who flicked it into the path of Tom Soane.  The linesmans flag stayed down and Soane tucked the ball under the Binfield keeper to bring Wanderers level.


Wanderers battled hard and enjoyed some strong spells which Binfield had little answer to.  In defence, Hillsdon, Falcus, van der Laan O'Donnell and Townsend were dogged.  Scott Ford ran the midfield with spirited support from Pearce, Holland and Bambrough.  When Binfield did threaten they were unable to get past the formidable Mellor in the Wokingham goal.


With ten minutes remaining, it seemed the game was destined to end in a draw.  Ford took a throw-in and found Prior on the halfway line.  Prior turned past his man and beat two more as he headed for goal.  The Binfield keeper came in with a crushing challenge but the loose ball ran to Soane who tapped in for his second.


Prior immediately moved back to midfield as Wanderers attempted to hang on for three deserved points. 


With two minutes left a Binfield free kick was dealt with by a combination of Townsend and Falcus and the ball ran to Oliver Bambrough.  He quickly released Tom Soane who was too quick for the last Binfield defender, and his shot was perfectly placed to secure a Wanderers victory.


This was a superb team performance and a victory which could prove to be the foundation for a successful season.  The individual play of Tom Soane and Edward Townsend was particularly noteworthy.


TEAM: Alan Mellor, Chris Hillsdon, Scott Ford, Dan van der Laan O'Donnell, Edward Townsend, Oliver Bambrough, Clint Falcus, Lewis Trusty, Alan Pearce, Tom Soane, Anthony Prior.

SUB: Owen Holland (for Trusty).